Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thesaurus Thursday

In keeping with my decluttering theme, I'd like to pull out and dust off Thesaurus Thursday. I find it is an opportunity to reflect on my inner dialogue and also an excellent way to procrastinate put into perspective these issues I have that hold me back from being the organized, content wife/mother/teacher I visualize while I am drinking whiskey meditating. So instead of purging my 9 yr. old daughter's closet of Littlest Pet Ship figures, Build-a-Bear clothing and her ice skates from when she was 5, I'll be ruminating on what I'm learning from the journey I like to call "De-crapping".

The words that most pop in my head whilst I toil and sweat from trip after trip to the garage with swollen trash bags full of flap doodle (it is in the Thesaurus under crap) is elbow grease. How many times have I started and stopped this project because it was just too much. Too much stuff. Too many piles. The sheer volume of crap clothes that are too small, broken and incomplete toys, shoes without a mate...it is overwhelming. So, I found another "project" to undertake that was less emotionally and physically afflicting. Like shoppoing for curriculum...locating the perfect purse that will make my life complete (curse you, Buxton Bag. Will you ever get here?) I now know that you have to carry on. Even if it means a little scrubbing and chiseling. (yes...chiseling. Those of you with boys will understand)

But, lo, there is a light. Here, my friends, I have discovered that through perseverance and a little elbow grease...heh-heh...you can find hope and satisfaction. It was indeed a light I saw this day. A light patch of carpet in the distance that holds no clutter nor trash. One pristine, glowing corner of a room otherwise filled with mountains of dirty towels and valleys of crevices betwixt bed and wall...dresser and window. There lies a chasm waiting to devour odd socks and Star Wars action figures. But that one glimmer of hope...that light. Oh, yes...it brings me hope. Hope for a future devoid of stepping on Battleship game pieces. By chipping away at the petrified miscellany of ...well...crap, I see a better tomorrow. I see my clean, well-behaved children obeying when I say, "Children, go forth and clean your rooms. Father will be home shortly to have a warm, family dinner and smoke his pipe." *see note Because of my brilliant housekeeping abilities, I have provided them with a clutter-free environment that is easy to clean and pleasant to dwell. *gag*

OK...I can't even stand it anymore. It does help if you read it in your best Kelsey Grammar "Frasier" voice. But, in more of a June Cleaver...never mind.


*get Darren a pipe

1 comment:

Chris said...

This is my first time on your blog--you are hilarious!
Completely understand where you are with the crap.
See you on WTM
Chris in VA